Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Doing it right 1

I went to my son's high school P and C meeting last night. I sat down and the first order of business was an acknowledgement of the traditional owners - first line underneath the date.

A simple acknowledgement is not everything, but then its not nothing either.

I shared this on facebook this morning and I realised, that it really is a relevant question to this blog and the goals of the blog - which is the supporting of teachers embedding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledges and perspectives into their curriculum.

How will we know when its done? How do we know if its an example of "doing it right"?

How and who decides is important. What is "right" for me may not be "right" for another. By right do we mean enough. I certainly don't assume that with an acknowledgement of Traditional Owners that the school has it all together - its only been three weeks at this school so I'm reserving my opinion. But it was a great start.

I'd be interested in hearing about examples of where you think its being done right.

In the meantime, well done Aviation High.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...